1. Avoid close contact. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
2. Wash your hands properly:
- Wet your hands with warm water and apply soap.
- Rub your hands together for 20 seconds, or about the time it takes to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice. Make sure to get between your fingers and underneath your nails.
- Rinse hands with water.
- Dry hands using a disposable paper towel.
Wash your hands after:
- Coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose
- Using the bathroom
- Taking out the garbage
4. Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth. This is how germs are spread and how you can get sick.
5. Consider a face mask. If you live in an area where swine flu has been identified and you cannot avoid crowded settings or close contact with others, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests the use of a face mask.